The Goal of Every Christian Is To Mature in Spirit and Soul
Titus 1:5-16 Holman Christian Standard Bible
5 The reason I left you in Crete was to set right what was left undone and, as I directed you, to appoint elders in every town: 6 someone who is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of wildness or rebellion. 7 For an overseer, as God’s manager, must be blameless, not arrogant, not quick tempered, not addicted to wine, not a bully, not greedy for money, 8 but hospitable, loving what is good, sensible, righteous, holy, self-controlled, 9 holding to the faithful message as taught, so that he will be able both to encourage with sound teaching and to refute those who contradict it.10 For there are also many rebellious people, idle talkers and deceivers, especially those from Judaism. …11 … 12…13 This testimony is true. So, rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith 14 and may not pay attention to Jewish myths and the commandments of men who reject the truth.15 To the pure, everything is pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; in fact, both their mind and conscience are defiled. 16 They profess to know God, but they deny Him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, and disqualified for any good work.
Some would like to see this passage as only for Elders/Pastors… But this passage contains Gods goal for everyone who names the name of Christ as Savior and Lord. The character points listed here are for all Christians to live in:
- Blameless/trustworthy/honest/ with integrity
- Husband of one wife or wife of one husband
- Having believing children not wild or rebellious
- Not arrogant but humble
- Not one who uses much wine (no hard liquor)
- Not easily angered, not a bully
- Not greedy for money
- Hospitable – entertaining others in our homes
- Loving good hating evil
- sensible, righteous, holy, self-controlled
- listening to and living by the Word so you can encourage others with it
- able to use the Word to refute wrong doctrine
- not rebellious or an idle talker or deceiver
- sound in the Faith – submitted to living by the teaching of the New Covenant Word of God
- reject ‘myths’ and religious commands
- have a pure and undefiled conscience
- profess to ‘know’ God and show it by the way we live in the world
Let us be encouraged… this is what we have and are in Christ. by His grace and by the Holy Spirit we are changing… we simply, must make daily decisions to live in the fullness of what Christ has given us by His death – burial – and resurrection.
What do you think???